4/06/2011

Nail Therapy

As some of you may or may not know, I suffer from Generalized and Social Anxiety disorders. I'm always looking for ways to cope, because the anxiety permeates every part of my life (sounds dramatic, but if you've experienced anxiety, you know what I mean) but I still have to go on and push through. I've found that nail polish has actually helped me relieve a lot of stress and worry.


So, since I didn't change my nails today, I thought I'd leave you with Six Reasons Nail Polish is Therapeutic:

1. Painting is a very precise task, where you have to pay close attention to what you are doing, which leaves less time to be worried about other things.

2. Taking off old polish feels like starting with a clean slate.

3. I worry a lot about change. Changing my polish reminds me that change can be fun and exciting, not always something to dread.

4. I usually paint my nails in the evening after work. If I'm having a rough day, it gives me something to look forward to. I can think about what color I'd like to wear instead of thinking about how long the day has been or worrying that tomorrow will be even worse.

5. It's tactile. I've I'm feeling stressed about a situation but need to stay collected, a lot of the time I'll just rub my nails, because they feel smooth and it relaxes me.

6. It's just pretty to look at! (Of course!)

No comments: